Friday 29 May 2020

Masterpiece Optimus Prime

Not sure how many Masterpiece variations of Optimus Prime are there, with MP-44 being the latest but to me, the numero uno has to be number one where it all began...

I reckon without the first Masterpiece (MP-1) and likely its success, this series will not be where it is today (i.e. a money making proposition... haha).

Unlike its Hasbro counterpart, even back then, it was called Cybertron Commander Convoy and not Optimus Prime.

For the benefit of new fans (those born after MP-10, at least...), a glimpse of how MP-1's box looked like :

(front and back of box)

Got mine from the secondary market. The box wasn't really in good shape, no major dents though, just the standard scuffles at the corners of the box. Prime had a broken smokestack and was missing its energy axe but other than those, all were good.

Really solid as most parts are die-cast

"Check out my Matrix of Leadership"

MP-10 is the other Masterpiece I have in my collection. Not the expensive TakaraTomy one, couldn't get my hands on it then. So, settled for the more affordable Hasbro one. The box may not be as nice as the standard black TakaraTomy one but at least, with this, I can see what's inside.

Hasbro version of MP-10

A review for another day, perhaps? 

In the meanwhile, enjoy these MP-10s... seriously didn't know there were so many redecoes. Hmmm...I think "Barney" and "Gold-digger" are missing.

(Source : anymoon.com)

Can someone caption this? 

"hey Bee, don't mind me squatting here"

This is what happens when you run out of space for Optimus Prime and he has to share with Bumblebee(s)...